The Ghostwind Mythos

Welcome. This is the chronicle of a quest. This is a stroll in the labyrinth, a pilgrimage: the pursuit of magic, faith, and -- the two alchemically bonded -- apotheosis.

Name:

I am eagerly awaiting the rebirth of wonder.

March 19, 2007

Florence

I'm pretty sure I've found the slowest computer in all of Florence.

As I said before, this is a truly fascinating city. I've seen just about every gallery, museum, and church there is to see, with only a few exceptions I intend to take care of soon.

I'll admit, standing in line for the Galleria della'Accademia, seeing all the folks ahead of me, thinking about the €9 it'll cost to get in, all just to see one statue... I had my doubts. And then I saw the David. It really is like being in the same room as a giant: you'll see him out of the corner of your eye, and something in your head says "Wait wait... that can't be right," so you stare at this titan as if -- any moment now -- he'll finally fit himself into your mindspace. But he doesn't. He's still a giant, and he's bigger than even your expectations. It was literally difficult to concentrate whenever I could just turn my head and see him. He is beautiful and powerful... and he looks like he knows it.

I've seen the works of the great Renaissance masters, but I really wish I knew more about art history so I could fully appreciate it all. I can tell they were geniuses, and well before their time, but hardcore analysis is a bit beyond me (especially while surrounded by a true throng of other tourists).

In the Basilica di Santa Croce are the monuments to some of the most influential men in all of Western history: Michaelangelo, Dante, Galileo, even Machiavelli. Dante's monument was especially awesome. He sits facing forward, grim as ever. To his right is a tall, powerful-looking woman with a starred crown and a long staff, gesturing back to him in pride... Italia herself. To Dante's left is a very sad, very beautiful woman, the upper part of her body bent over the sarcophagus with a laurel wreath in one hand... Beatrice? Are the laurels Virgil's? They are proud of this man, and they should be. Despite also being the name of a (rather awesome) pizzeria, Dante's name carries power in Florence. He loved this city so much, and suffered exile for political reasons.

And speaking of politics, the Medicis were arrogant, arrogant, powerful people. The Palazzo Vecchio, which was kinda their courtly headquarters, is jam packed with art on just about every surface possible. In the ballroom, each panel of the ceiling is a painting worthy of a museum. In another room, busts are above the doorways. I noticed one bust had a Roman look to it, and assumed it to be so, above the figure's head was the crest of the Medicis. Another bust, however, was of a man in liturgical robes, and where the crest would've been was instead the three-tiered crown of the pope, complete with the two keys of Rome. Then I saw the name on the bust... something like: "PIVS VII, JVLIAN MEDICI, FILII," and realized that -- yes -- this was one of the Medici popes. And the other Medici pope stood guard over another doorway. Seriously, these folks had everything but a painting of one man strangling the other: over the strangler's head would be a little scroll reading "US," and over the strangled man's head would be one that read "EVERYONE ELSE." But, well, we do kinda owe them for the Renaissance.

I think I'll be taking off soon, in the next few days. Valerio, Angelica, and Massimiliano -- not to mention all the other friends they've introduced me to -- have shown me wondrous levels of hospitality. Great, great people. And this whole while they've been incredibly encouraging about my quest.

Oh. And good news. I've found God again. And this time we're speaking the same language, like every good teacher should do with His student. A man named Michael helped, a friend of my Graces. After them, Michael, God, and all of Florence, I figure it's only a matter of time before I run into the Elves. I'll keep you posted.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Son,
Thank you for the update on your adventures. To read your impressions make me think I too am there. What a backdrop for the spiritual quest you are on, for your findings without and within. You will already come back to us a changed man, and your journey isn't near over. I can't wait, but I will nevertheless be patient.
All my love,
D

Mon Mar 19, 01:05:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

" I've found God again. And this time we're speaking the same language"

I am truly thrilled to have read those words written by you. I can not wait to talk to you about this moment over coffee. And just think, your journey isn't even close to done.

After reading about Florence I think you have certianly made me want to visit this place some time in my future. To tell you the truth I'm sad to here you are leaving it, I was enjoying reading about it. You are truly a gifted writer Edward.

Be well man.

Love,
-Joe

Tue Mar 20, 05:42:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom says:
A wise man, and now a bishop to boot, told me once not to worry about you spiritually. You used to astound him with your spiritual sensitivity. Unfortunately, universities function in the mental realm and spirit is on another altogether. God continue to bless you. All my love, Mom.

Tue Mar 20, 10:39:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buon Viaggio Hermano Querido
e buon cammino ovunque tu vada.
Forse un giorno potremo incontrarci
di nuovo lungo la strada.





...and a white angel sitting next to your window.


A.

Thu Mar 22, 05:10:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I walked close to the river bank
in the fresh breeze
of the last days of winter
and in the air was an old song
and the tide was dancing running towards the sea.

Sometimes the tired travellers stop
and they rest a little
in company of some strangers
And who knows where you will fall asleep this night
And who knows how you will listen to this song.

Perhaps you are rocking yourself to the sound of a train,
chasing the gipsy boy
with his backpack under the violin
and if you're lost
in some cold foreign country
I send you this lullaby
to feel you near.

One day, guided by sure stars
we will find again ourselves
in some corner of far away world,
in the slums, between musicians and fools
or on the paths where the fairies run.

And I pray some God of the travellers
for you to have some money in your pocket to spend tonight
and someone in the bed
to warm the winter
and a white angel
sitting next to your window.

Thu Mar 22, 08:14:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! by the way, Valerio has taken 30/30 at his exam.

Yee haa!

Fri Mar 23, 07:22:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home