The Ghostwind Mythos

Welcome. This is the chronicle of a quest. This is a stroll in the labyrinth, a pilgrimage: the pursuit of magic, faith, and -- the two alchemically bonded -- apotheosis.

Name:

I am eagerly awaiting the rebirth of wonder.

April 05, 2007

Budapest, Enriched

I love you all so much.

The day started out so well.

I went to Buda Castle and immediately went to the labyrinth entrance.  Once a bunker, once a center for Cold War info, now turned into a shamanistic underground path explaining both primordial human and Hungarian history.  It was fantastic.  These people obviously had a solid understanding of Jungian archetypes.  In the little passages, occasionally enriched by some gentle mood music, I met a statue shaman, the world axis, the labyrinth of courage, as well as some other trials representing phases in Hungarian history.  The labyrinth of courage was intended for children and adults with candles.  The goal is to find the sun.  I did it alone, in pitch black, wandering like a blind man until I found the refracting mirror with the lights.  And tomorrow I go back to walk the personal labyrinth -- which must be scheduled ahead of time -- and I'm completely looking forward to it.  I've studied a lot about labyrinths and mazes, and they are like a physical metaphor for spiritual travel.  At one point they were even considered a substitute for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.

The castle itself was alright.  The permanent exhibition of Hungarian art was... alright.

The day started out so well.

And just a few hours ago, I strolled out to relax at a bar and have a drink and write in my journal about an interesting dream I had.  I met two Hungarian women and asked where a good place was.  One said, "Maybe in this direction.   Can we look together?"  I thought, Sure, no big deal, I'll hang out with these two and try and show them not all Americans are bad.  We got to a place, had some drinks, some wine, and then I was presented with the bill.

I tell you this because I love you all.  And I want you to understand what this spiritual quest has become for me.

I got scammed.  The bill was about 120,000 florints (the local currency), which is around $500.  No shit.  I got scammed.  I seriously don't even know how to feel about this.  All at the same time, I feel angry, self-depreciating, utterly hateful, and depressed.  Money is energy in currency form, and I've just lost an aweful lot of it just because I wanted to meet interesting people who came across my path.

I've been scammed.  Jesus God, I've been scammed.

Tomorrow I'll contact the American embassy.  Not because I actually think they'll be able to do anything about the money, but if only to warn other travellers.

I feel...  Hell, I don't know.  I feel alot, and very, very little of it is good.

The day started out so nicely.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dearest Son,
I read your recent adventure and immediately felt like "The Selfish Giant" in Oscar Wilde's story: "Who hath dared to wound thee? Tell men that I might slay him [or her]!" And I sit here thinking what I might say to alleviate some of your frustration.
All that comes to mind is what I tell my sponsees (and was told to me early on) when life doesn't go as planned. I realize this may not be the proper forum for these comments, but I know you don't check your email often and, besides, this is an emergency.
What I tell them is that this, too is an opportunity for spiritual growth. I have such an opportunity, not when I get out of bed in the morning and everything goes as I think it should (I find some money, maybe even a lot of money due to some sort of windfall; I discover a Zippo lighter in my train seat), but when things DON'T go as planned, THAT is when the rubber hits the road. When life happens in its myriad, unexpected forms, and I can be serene under any circumstance, that is the epitome of spiritual growth for me. Notice I didn't say happy. Happiness is a fair-weather friend that disappears the moment I become sad, etc., but serenity can be with me throughout, even in the extreme case of the death of a loved one. And best of all, I can choose to regain my serenity (if temporarily misplaced) at any moment, just by letting
go of it all, knowing "This too shall pass." It may not get me the money back, but I would rather have serenity than money anyway, for I have experienced the reverse.
With all my love,
D
"The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trial." (Confucius)

Thu Apr 05, 09:22:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read what you wrote two, maybe three times.

i really don't know what to answer, even if i searched with all my strength words inside of me to cheer you up somehow.

you're dad is so much wiser than me, and he explained a million times better what i could maybe say.

so, i will tell you what i do when it happens to me something like this.
you know how much i have to love money, and why, but it happens to lose them, sometimes.

when thinks like this happens, whatever is the amount that is gone, usually i have the same reaction that everyone has, and that you had.
then i try to take a deep breath and count the money gone.

what can i do with 500$?

and i start to dream about them, thinking of what i could buy with them, untill i find a probable way to "spend" them all in my fantasy.

and then, i focus on the pleasure that i would gain from that.

if i had 500$ i would go to disneyland, so i'll try to dream about it in the better way that my mind offers.

if i had 500$ i would by 300 coffees and 100 millefoglie.
..and then i try to live all of them.

worst part (or maybe better) of this game is that often you realize that you would "waste" your money anyway.
but, if you remember, coffin has no pockets. :)

with love, and trying to make you smile somehow,
Angelica

Fri Apr 06, 12:56:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea I'm gonna have to go with Lune on this one, it's slightly intimidating trying to post wisdom after your father lol.

The labyrinths and mazes sound very cool. Can't wait to hear how your venture into the personal labyrinth goes!

It sucks about the money man, I may not be as eloquent as your dad but, shit happens. Usually happens for a reason, not always a pleasing one, but a reason none the less. You had to expected to get shook up a bit on this journey right? Well It's trembling a little and it threw you off balance. No biggie. Get some firm footing and press on my man. Didn't think you would get your spark that easy did ya? ;)

Stay well brother, may the wind be at your back.

Love,
-Joe

Fri Apr 06, 05:50:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is that $500 when compared with a lifetime of telling an "I got scammed in budapest" story. Don't get me wrong, it sucks...a lot...but it's only money and you get a story out of it.

-Danny

Mon Apr 09, 06:30:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home