The Ghostwind Mythos

Welcome. This is the chronicle of a quest. This is a stroll in the labyrinth, a pilgrimage: the pursuit of magic, faith, and -- the two alchemically bonded -- apotheosis.

Name:

I am eagerly awaiting the rebirth of wonder.

April 09, 2007

Sofia

Due to a 25-hour train ride here from Budapest, I missed the opportunity to hear Easter mass sung by Bulgarian angels. But just today, a little over an hour ago, I went to mass anyway, at a beautiful cathedral here. Eastern Orthodox architecture makes for amazing acoustics. All the singing was done by the priest and another man standing off to the side, who had a rich, resonant voice. The incense was equally thick. I feel... so good.

The Cyrillic alphabet isn't near as intimidating if you consider it came from Greek. A few extra symbols, yes, but I got the basics easily enough. Just unfortunate that my travel book didn't -- for some reason -- have a list of useful phrases in Bulgarian. No matter. I seem to be getting along nicely.

The weather is lovely. I have prayed with focus and adoration. I have but to wait and claim my ascension when it comes.

But there are still obstacles. I looked over the entry requirements for Turkey and Israel, and they are mazelike in their language. From what I can tell, I can apply at the Turkish border for an entry visa, costing $20. I fill out an application, they look it over, they keep it for their records and I move on. Looking at Israel's requirements, I don't think I need a visa as an American citizen who isn't staying very long, but I do need a valid ticket out. Seems as if they don't want me lingering on. Unfortunate to attach such a deadline to such a spiritual city as Jerusalem. But as Zen teaches, enlightenment can come in just one moment. It'll probably take me a bit longer, but I think I'm up to an ascendant marathon.

I love you all so very much.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sofia! One of the oldest European cities!
I think it's a good choice.

I'm glad you had, somehow, your easter mass.
I don't know how it works for their church, but here in italy this is still a holy day. The angel's monday (or little easter).

Do you remember what Valerio's friend use to say?
"Not every day is little easter!"

So enjoy this monday!




A big big hug,
An.

Mon Apr 09, 11:53:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you heard the singing. It sounds beautiful.
God speed with your touring through Turkey toward Israel. There are actually Turks on your Grandpa's side, so part of your bblood shall be returning home.
I love you.
D

Mon Apr 09, 11:30:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mom:
Happy Easter my son. I can remember you hunting eggs in the family room as a toddler. Each time you bent over to pick one up a family member would take one out of your basket to roll it in another spot. We never had to move from our positions for quite a time. Sometimes so much to take in in a small area. We never see all unless we search the same area many times. Some of your journey sounds this way.

I've not been able to read your journey for several days. You have been through so much. You have also been blessed much. How much more you would have lost had you not so many people loving and encouraging you to see life from one of its many other vantage points. Such an education!

Love always to my firstborn. Mom

Tue Apr 10, 11:35:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

April, 5th 2007 marked the dawn of the apocalypse at 9lbs 6oz, 21 and a half Inches long. Zoronaen (Zo-ron-eon) Gabriel and you know the last. Ecstatic is my claim to see your posting of happenings in a far off land my restless friend. I hope all is well and often keep you in mind. Be careful Yin and by all means stay away from hostels.

Fri Apr 13, 10:04:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home