The Ghostwind Mythos

Welcome. This is the chronicle of a quest. This is a stroll in the labyrinth, a pilgrimage: the pursuit of magic, faith, and -- the two alchemically bonded -- apotheosis.

Name:

I am eagerly awaiting the rebirth of wonder.

April 14, 2007

Rila Monastery

First of all, congratulations to the Yang to my Yin on the birth of his son. And, yes, I'll be keeping a lookout for the other six signs of the apocalypse. All my love to you, man.

I've spent the past three days at Rila Monastery, three hours or so from Sofia, a place so isolated the Turks had trouble finding it (and they ruled the area for quite a while). A quiet little place, surrounded by mountains, snowed caps in the distance. Three times I'd leave my cell to listen at the church to their mass, to the rolling tones of their voices. (If my beard gets any longer, I might be able to blend in.)

But now having joined the European Union, the whole nation is still caught in the ripple effect. My guide book's now pretty much useless as far as prices are concerned, and I ate honey and graham crackers yesterday because the powers of capitalism have managed to find what the Turks only occasionally could.

I miss you all. Each day, the ache to return home gets stronger and stronger. But I still haven't yet reached the middle of the labyrinth, and I'd love to pay a visit to some great friends before I fly back to the world waiting to catch me in America.

I pray all is well with you... with all of you. If I had some hardcore magic at my disposal, I'd do what I can to ensure it. As it stands, I have hope; hope sharpened and focused like a ray of light. That, at least, I've learned. So I send a little light your way... you've given me so much already.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ow that place looks cold!

I suggest you to use your beard as a scarf.

It is a great idea to stop in Rila Monastery, speaking more seriously. Awesome choice, your surely wiser than before, travelling from London to Madrid or whatever. Eheheh.


If you have the time, exit from the monastery and go walking on those mountains. That's my suggestion.

Thank for the little light. If you're patient enough you can see mine at 4:30 in the morning. :)


Love,
An.

Sat Apr 14, 09:52:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How happy I am for you, son, your being at that monastery. Somehow I am breathing a sign of relief, even though I realize the journey certainly continues. I am thinking of this as a resting up, a "breather" for you, after all you have been through. It sounds like you are drinking in the whole experience, and gaining strength in the process.
And I am glad you found your daily ration of manna along the way.
Thank you too for the light you send our way. All are well here. We only wait.
With love,
D

Sun Apr 15, 12:53:00 AM EDT  
Blogger The Poli-Spy said...

Edward, my friend, home will be here for you no matter how long you trek around Europe growing a beard the prophets would be proud of. Take your time, do what you need/want to do, we'll be here when you get back.

Mon Apr 16, 09:23:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Eddie III
I tried to read your postings but being an "old lady" of earlier times...somehow I did get on line. But, along comes your Dad and makes it easy for me to find and read your comments. I haven't had time to read all these messages but when I get in bed tonight I'll read all you have written. Can hardly wait! We have missed you but know you are having a great time, most of the time hopefully! I have been to several of the places you have visited but not all, and the area you are presently in has not be seen. Maybe someday I'll get there too. You take after your Dad and me wanting to "see all and do all." I'll go for now. Aunt Milly hasn't been real well but she keeps on going. Take care and remember you have a lot of people in Kentucky and elsewhere who love you very much. Your parents and I are at the top of the list! Looking forward to seeing you before too long! Lots of love, Grandma

Mon Apr 16, 11:56:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did a search on the Monastery and it does look awesome - architecture and artwork. The scenery is exquisite. Have you hiked to the nearest peak? Says it should take 4 hrs. Knowing you, I imagine you would rather sit and enjoy from afar. But, one never knows! Ha! You love to offer surprises. I am enjoying Louisiana for you. Love from all here. MOM

Wed Apr 18, 03:17:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home