The Ghostwind Mythos

Welcome. This is the chronicle of a quest. This is a stroll in the labyrinth, a pilgrimage: the pursuit of magic, faith, and -- the two alchemically bonded -- apotheosis.

Name:

I am eagerly awaiting the rebirth of wonder.

April 20, 2007

Thessaloniki to Treskavec Monastery

I'm in Greece at present, but only for a few hours until I can catch my bus to Macedonia. I'll return afterward to give Athens a good look and hopefully get out to see Crete.

I'm headed to a monastery I heard about from some French guys in my last hostel. From what they said, the place is run by an Orthodox monk who -- I'm told -- is hilarious. He makes jokes while he gives the historical tour, and the jokes make him laugh every time. Stay there is free, but after the second day you have to help out around the place. For me, that seems perfectly ideal, though there are still some technical issues I'm trying to work out.

The first is getting there. Like most monasteries, this place is pretty isolated. I can't take a bus or train from here to the nearby town, so there's a switch involved. And switching trains or busses always makes me nervous, not the least of which because of the language barrier. The second problem is money. Yes, the stay is free, but I still need to feed myself, and I somehow doubt the nearby town will have an ATM. I'll also need to get ahold of money in the town I'm switching trains in, or I'll have to try and pay for the train ride with tales of adventure and hijinks... without getting hijinked. The third problem is contact. If the nearby town doesn't have an ATM, it's a safe bet that internet access won't be falling into my lap. So for all I know, this post precedes a week of silence which -- I'm sure -- probably makes you all just as nervous as it makes me. But travelling to the near-edge of civilization has its special sacrifices and special rewards.

Ah. And the awesome hostel I left in Sofia, The Rooms, said I could work there if I wanted. As incredibly tempted as I am, I've got to be true to this quest, and that means looking for magic en route to Jerusalem. A side track, out of my way, to Treskavec Monastery is one thing; working in a capital city is another. Though, of course, the option is still there for the return trip. Wonderful folks, truly.

I'm nearing my destination, geographically speaking. The magic I'm looking for still eludes me, but I've learned and seen plenty, including a re-appreciation for the everyday world (which I was seriously lacking when I set out on this quest). I'll get to Jerusalem, hang out for a bit, give one last honest push toward some kind of ascension, then back I come... walking by degrees into the old world with new eyes and hopefully a new, reborn life. There will doubtless be some uncomfortable adjusting, but it'll be worth it to feel like I've found my place in the world, or found a way of seeing the world that's both honest and meaningful (quite a juggling act, that).

Thank you, my guiding constellations. I sail by your lights.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I trust hilariuos people, so I won't be nervous, since you will be in the strong safe hands of a hilariuos monk.

I am glad about the path that you choose to follow, as I told you, in my opinion you are making wise choices.

Relax and work, because those words will have the same meaning to you in that monastery.

The moon this evening will be like the smile of the cheshire cat.
A month has passed and I am still following you.

So take care, because I want to continue reading a good story.

An.

Fri Apr 20, 12:41:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How excited I continue to be for you. Your journey is a bit ours as well, for we are the ones who shall be blessed by your reappearance into our worlds.
"It is our duty as men and women to proceed as though the limits of our abilities do not exist." (Pierre Teilhard de Chardin)
I believe that you will get to where you are supposed to be, so that in a sense you have already arrived.
With love,
D

Sun Apr 22, 10:32:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cause to Celebrate!
4/23/2007 Born at 7:54 am.:
Kyleigh Danielle King
6 lbs 12 oz. - 18" long
dark hair and cute!

Stephanie had heart surgeon standing by but recent meds had controlled the problem to where everything was OKed for normal C-section. They had worried she might have open-heart surgery (Stephanie, that is). Mother, baby, and all relatives are doing fine! ;-)

Love you, miss you, and envious of you. Mom

Mon Apr 23, 12:54:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home