The Ghostwind Mythos

Welcome. This is the chronicle of a quest. This is a stroll in the labyrinth, a pilgrimage: the pursuit of magic, faith, and -- the two alchemically bonded -- apotheosis.

Name:

I am eagerly awaiting the rebirth of wonder.

April 30, 2007

Treskavec, Enriched

I met a Macedonian guy, studying German at the university in Skopje, and he told me about a German play that takes place in a monastery, with the description "Time stops in these walls." And it is true. Visitors come and go, sometimes they stay the night. An American came a few days ago: Randy, from Texas and DC, working with a firm in Kosovo to help stabilize the region... he specifically working to help facilitate the creation of a court system. Art students come, or architecture students, or professors from various fields.

The guys here aren't looking forward to when summer fully sets in, when the monastery will flood with tourists, all clamoring for Kallist's attention. He is a busy man, the only monk at Treskavec, a place so rich in history that it was built atop a temple of Apollo and Artemis, and the surrounding hillsides are topped by large stones, strange holes cut into them, where ancient peoples once sacrificed to more exotic gods. I've been here over a week now and I still haven't spoken with Kallist about things divine. I do not want to interrupt him when he is obviously enjoying himself conversing at dinner. And what free time he has he spends with God.

It is so easy to lose myself in the rhythm here. Days pass as easily as breathing. I can stare at the sky for hours, or write in my journal, or hang out with the guys. If I am bored, I give myself a little job to do, like picking up litter.

Or I climb a mountain. Like yesterday, crawling up the peak near the monastery, clutching at the metal cross at its top, very slowly turning my head -- fighting vertigo -- to look out at a panorama restrained only by mountains and sheer distance. Perspective loses all meaning at that height: lengths stretch and size dwindles. A flock of little birds danced in the air nearby, flying higher than the peak, clearly having fun.

I have time to think and write. I meditate on magic, and I'm clearly no closer to an impossible goal. But I have changed a bit, learned something of discipline and will. And even as I struggle to internalize these lessons, to really become this man whose ethic I am trying out, I wonder if I haven't found my personal Jerusalem, my Golgotha where an older self will die and a new man -- still resembling the old -- will be born.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe you have.

I still think that jerusalem is a place inside of you.
(not like my damasco, no way, I'm serious now...)

maybe there where you are is just more easy to feel at home, because you spend a lot of time inside yourself, where is -indeed- your true "home".

I know you will succeed to bring this feeling with you wherever you will go.

it is awesome to re-born, and better thing, you can do it a lot of times.



open your mind even more, this is my hope for you.

A.


p.s. 5/1 happy birthday to me

Mon Apr 30, 10:29:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did it! You used to hate work. You actually climbed the mountain and what a reward. It seems all of life is climbing one mountain or another. There is rarely an easy out. Usually it just prolongs the inevitable climb anyway.

I don't know what magic you are seeking but all of life is magic. The greatest is love.

I feel magic for you, son.
Mom

Happy Birthday, Lune. Happy Birthday to me on 5/13.

Mon Apr 30, 02:11:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you so much!

Angelica

Mon Apr 30, 04:28:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have often felt you were intended for greater things, to not get bogged down in the day-to-day of American existence, and am so grateful you are on this journey, one in which you will be able to share with us over and over, never to completely explain. "There are things that words cannot explain." Nevertheless, I would listen at your feet, son, and never grow tired." Hurry back, but take your time!
With love,
D

P.S. Happy birthday, Angelica! -P.

Mon Apr 30, 11:56:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Dan said...

You are not on a trip thru Europe or to Holy land, you're on a trip to Eddie. Remember getting there is half the fun. Enjoy your trip :)

Thu May 03, 12:01:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet on a horse at Churchill Downs this past Wednesday named "Eyes on Eddie" - I couldn't pass that up. It came in first place. You are being watched over, continue on your journey until you find what you're looking for!

- Sarah

p.s. Craig's thinking about you too.

Can't wait to see you, and hear first hand the incredible stories of your journey.

Fri May 04, 05:30:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home