The Ghostwind Mythos

Welcome. This is the chronicle of a quest. This is a stroll in the labyrinth, a pilgrimage: the pursuit of magic, faith, and -- the two alchemically bonded -- apotheosis.

Name:

I am eagerly awaiting the rebirth of wonder.

May 17, 2007

Jerusalem

At first, when I arrived, the bus dropped me off and I had to walk a bit to get internet access and book a hostel. A celebration was going on: forty years of Israel "re-unifying" Jerusalem, so there were was a parade and plenty of people out on the streets. I worried that Jerusalem had gone modern, that its history had been almost completely buried in cafes and parks. Then I got to the Old City.

And yes, the old Jerusalem is still here, breathing quietly in walls built by Suleyman the Magnificent during Turkish rule. (He was so angry that the architects had left David's Tomb outside the new walls that he put their heads outside the walls as well.) The spice market makes my eyes water. A shopkeeper -- hoping to pawn off some Persian rugs -- made me a cup of sage tea because I told him my stomach was bothering me. Hebrew, Arabic, and English come at me from all angles. I'm staying at the Citadel Hostel, which is a truly mazelike, four-story place with low, cavernous ceilings; I don't mind hitting my head when I get to hang out in such an interesting building. I am surrounded by jews, muslims, and christians of many different sects. (Even met a German girl who was raised Pentecostal and spoke in tongues at the age of five!)

On the other side of things, we occassionally watch Al-Jazeera, and the news of fighting is more relevant when you know it's on the southern border of Israel. Packs of soldiers from the settlements roamed around yesterday, to help serve as security for the celebration; but these are kids, just eighteen years old, strolling with assault rifles. Barbed wire tops the wall outside my hostel. And this, too, is the old Jerusalem.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing I can do but smile.

You arrived.


remember to close the circles you've opened, but remember to do it very slowly.







I am so happy that I feel arrived somewhere too. I will write you soon.


An.

Thu May 17, 01:23:00 PM EDT  
Blogger R.S.F said...

Well done. Stay safe.

Fri May 18, 08:18:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Son, you are sooooooo in my prayers. Soak it all in.

Please pray for Mimaw - surgery 5/24. Will give you followup sometime afterwards. She prays for you daily, as we all do.

May God grant you grace, peace, protection, and all His blessings.
Love, Mom

Fri May 18, 01:43:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! At long last, you have reached the center of your labyrinth. I cannot wait to hear what you find there.

Fri May 18, 07:50:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Edward,
What a burden, this calling to journey so far from your home.
I envy you.
With love,
D

Sat May 19, 01:01:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home